Thursday, September 8, 2011

melbourne's classic cycling routes

A quick chat in the (miniature) bunch this morning with some friends got me thinking. What are our hottest spots to ride on the road around here? Obviously my views are limited since I usually ride on the Eastern side of the city. Still, here are a few of my favourites (in no particular order). Some are well know and possibly spoiled by rowdy riders or traffic. Others are less well known and still have the rural charm.

  • The Dandenongs (Basin to Sassafras but also the countless roads over the back)
  • Kinglake climb (St. Andrews to Kinglake)
  • Mt. Pleasant Rd. (Eltham)
  • Hussey's Lane (Park Orchards)
  • Beach Rd. (Brighton to Mordialloc)
  • Cottles Bridge - Strathewen Rd. (Cottles Bridge to Strathewen. Doh.)
  • Yarra Boulevard (Kew and Burnley)
  • Beverley - Banyule - Henty - Cleveland - Bonds - Old Eltham Roads (Rosanna)
  • The Esplanade (Mornington to Safety Beach)
  • Clintons Rd (into Smiths Gully)
  • The Alps (Falls Creek, Mt. Buffalo, Mt. Hotham)
  • The Great Ocean Rd. (It is long and almost entirely fabulous)
I am sure I have forgotten many, but that is a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment